Burkland’s core purpose is to Accelerate Dreams. So often, turning dreams into reality helps change the world. We thrive at the forefront of this transformation. Startups desire our professionals — they are the best in the business. Startups seek our content — we are an industry thought leader. Startups trust our expertise so that founders can focus on their companies, products, and value-add. As a part of our demonstrated value, our clients raised over $1B just last year.
At Burkland, we lead with our Core Purpose. We do this for both our clients and our employees. We believe that leaning on our Core Values (Fresh Perspectives, Exponential Value, Empathy, Trusted Partner) will lead to happy clients and happy employees.
We are a remote-first company with over 170 incredible team members, over 700 clients, and a commitment to Accelerating Dreams.
As the Indirect Tax Manager, you will provide crucial guidance to clients on indirect tax laws and regulations, manage indirect tax compliance, and identify tax optimization opportunities. You will work with clients in the SaaS, FinTech, and eCommerce industries, staying up to date with tax laws and technology. You will assess potential areas of indirect tax risk, manage compliance for value-added tax, goods and services tax, and sales and use tax, and identify ways to minimize indirect tax liabilities. Your work will reduce tax liabilities, minimize the risk of non-compliance, and improve clients’ financial performance.
Your Typical, Atypical, Day
- Provide expert advice on indirect tax laws and regulations to clients from various industries.
- Stay up to date with changes in tax laws and regulations, as well as tax-related technology developments.
- Work closely with clients to understand their business operations and identify potential areas of indirect tax risk.
- Develop strategies to mitigate indirect tax risks.
- Manage indirect tax compliance, including ensuring clients’ tax obligations are completed accurately and on time.
- Have a strong understanding of the different indirect taxes that apply to clients, such as VAT, GST, and sales and use tax.
- Identify opportunities for tax optimization by analyzing clients’ business operations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in indirect tax management.
- Experience in consulting industry or public accounting.
- In-depth knowledge of indirect tax laws and regulations, including VAT, GST, and sales and use tax.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage multiple clients and projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications and software.
- A professional license is preferred.
What We Offer
- Flexible work schedule to promote a healthy work-life balance.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance for you and your dependents.
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance to support you when you need it the most.
- Flexible PTO – Take time off from work when you need it.
- 401k with a company match to ensure you are ready for retirement.
- A generous home office expense reimbursement so you have the office you need to be productive.
- Forget the commute! We’re a remote-first workplace, so you can work from your home office or the beach if you’d like!
- We offer a collaborative, communicative culture, driven by our Core Purpose + Values. We work with incredibly smart people who love learning and sharing their knowledge. If this sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.
Burkland Associates is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Burkland Associates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request accommodation, please visit our careers page https://burklandassociates.com/careers/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range target for the role described in this job description is $90,000 – $120,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors such as candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, total compensation, and market data. In addition, full-time regular positions are eligible for 401(k), health benefits, and other benefits; some of these benefits may be available for part-time.