Burkland’s core purpose is to Accelerate Dreams. So often, turning dreams into reality helps change the world. We thrive at the forefront of this transformation. Startups desire our professionals — they are the best in the business. Startups seek our content — we are an industry thought leader. Startups trust our expertise, so founders can focus on their companies, products, and value-add. As a part of our demonstrated value, our clients raised over $1B just last year.
At Burkland, we lead with our Core Purpose. We do this for both our clients and our employees. We believe that leaning on our Core Values (Fresh Perspectives, Exponential Value, Empathy, Trusted Partner) will lead to happy clients and happy employees.
We are a remote-first company with over 170 incredible team members, more than 700 clients, and a commitment to Accelerating Dreams.
We are looking for a dynamic + strategic teammate at Burkland. This role is seasonal and needed to start as soon as possible. If you have a background in tax and a passion for helping venture-backed startups succeed, Burkland is a wonderful fit for you!
Your Typical, Atypical, Day
- Responsible for Federal, State and Local business and individual tax return preparation, performing tax research to correctly and completely prepare tax returns.
- Applying local, state, and federal tax laws to ensure completion of filing and compliance requirements.
- Maintaining assigned accounts transactions documentation to ensure the accuracy of tax code assignments and ensure timely filing of tax returns.
- Reviewing both new and closing account documentation to set accurate coding in accounting and tax systems and determining tax reserves for payment.
- Preparing ancillary forms for the accuracy and completeness of the returns (ex. IRS form 2848).
- Successfully resolving software issues to ensure an accurate tax return.
- Building customer relationships to promote and expand the business.
- Prior individual and business tax preparation experience in a tax practice or consulting setting is required.
- Knowledge of tax laws, tax concepts, and familiarity with form 1040, 1120, 1065, 1120-S, 990s and schedules.
- You are a communicator at your core. Impeccable written and verbal communication is critical since this is the cornerstone of the role.
- You lead with integrity in all that you say and do.
- 5-10 Years of experience preparing and reviewing tax returns.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or certification in Accounting, Finance, or Tax preferred.
- Strong Excel skills.
- UltraTax Software experience is required.
- Experience in Public Accounting, or in a client service environment, is highly preferred.
- You are an expert collaborator!
- You should have a good understanding of depreciation and fixed asset allocations, allowable business deductions and allocations, interest allocations, basic requirements, amended return preparations, NOL allocations, estimated tax projections, and calculations, preparation of state returns, and the current tax law.
- You know and love technology. You possess a strong working knowledge of a variety of systems + tools and quickly learn how to navigate through new ones.
What We Offer
- Flexible work schedule to promote a healthy work-life balance.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance for you and your dependents.
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance to support you when you need it the most.
- Flexible PTO – Take time off from work when you need it.
- 401k with a company match to ensure you are ready for retirement.
- A generous home office expense reimbursement so you have the office you need to be productive.
- Forget the commute! We’re a remote-first workplace, so you can work from your home office or from the beach if you’d like!
- We offer a collaborative, communicative culture, driven by our Core Purpose + Values. We work with incredibly smart people who love to learn and share what they know. If this sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.
Burkland Associates is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Burkland Associates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit our careers page https://burklandassociates.com/careers/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range target for the role described in this job description is $35-$45/hour. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors such as candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, total compensation, and market data. In addition, full-time regular positions are eligible for 401(k), health benefits, and other benefits; some of these benefits may be available for part-time.