Burkland’s core purpose is to Accelerate Dreams. So often, turning dreams into reality helps change the world. We thrive at the forefront of this transformation. Startups desire our professionals — they are the best in the business. Startups seek our content — we are an industry thought leader. Startups trust our expertise, so founders can focus on their companies, products and value-add. As a part of our demonstrated value, our clients raised over $1B just last year.
At Burkland, we lead with our Core Purpose. We do this for both our clients and our employees. We believe that leaning on our Core Values (Fresh Perspectives, Exponential Value, Empathy, Trusted Partner) will lead to happy clients and happy employees.
We are a remote-first company with over 150 incredible team members, more than 500 clients, and a commitment to Accelerating Dreams.
- We are looking for a dynamic + strategic teammate at Burkland. If you have a background in accounting/tax and a passion for helping venture-backed startups succeed, Burkland is a wonderful fit for you!
- Join the small and growing R&D team to help support the completion of R&D studies, working closely with the R&D
- Manager as well as across departments at Burkland.
- Identify client credit opportunities alongside the R&D Manager.
- Stay on top of R&D and Tax Law changes through outside research and communicate findings internally.
- Opportunity to grow in the role by expanding your knowledge and eventually conducting R&D interviews with clients.
- Work closely with the Tax Team, other departments, and outside partners.
- Work with the Income Tax team on tax returns and other tax matters as needed.
Your Typical, Atypical, Day
- Organizing client files and contacting clients via email.
- Working on R&D calculations, reports, and tax forms in Excel and other tax software.
- Learning and keeping up to date with many types of software.
- Reviewing financial statements to identify R&D opportunities for clients.
- Analytical and able to talk with clients and Burkland colleagues to facilitate understanding of the R&D credit.
- Self-motivated to grow your knowledge in the field through continuing education, reading, research, and asking questions.
- You are a communicator at your core. Impeccable written and verbal communication is critical since this is the cornerstone of the role.
- You lead with integrity in all that you say and do.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- 1-3 Years of Corporate Income Tax experience.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Tax Software experience.
- Experience in Public Accounting, or in a client service environment, highly preferred.
- Exposure to the R&D credit is highly preferred.
- Experience in the start-up environment, or work with Technology and SaaS companies, preferred.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. If you have startup experience, that’s a huge plus!
- You take the initiative and jump at the opportunity to explore new ways of doing things.
- You take an acutely accurate approach to your work and look forward to the parts of your job that require analytical thinking.
- You are an expert collaborator! You ask for and give feedback regularly.
- You know and love technology. You possess a strong working knowledge of a variety of systems + tools and quickly learn how to navigate through new ones.
What We Offer
- Flexible work schedule to promote a healthy work-life balance.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance for you and your dependents.
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance to support you when you need it the most.
- Flexible PTO – Take time off from work when you need it.
- 401k with a company match to ensure you are ready for retirement.
- A generous home office expense reimbursement so you have the office you need to be productive.
- Forget the commute! We’re a remote-first workplace, so you can work from your home office or from the beach if you’d like!
- We offer a collaborative, communicative culture, driven by our Core Purpose + Values. We work with incredibly smart people who love to learn and share what they know. If this sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.