Burkland’s core purpose is to Accelerate Dreams. So often, turning dreams into reality helps change the world. We thrive at the forefront of this transformation. Startups desire our professionals — they are the best in the business. Startups seek our content — we are an industry thought leader. Startups trust our expertise, so founders can focus on their companies, products, and value-add. As a part of our demonstrated value, our clients raised over $1B just last year.
At Burkland, we lead with our Core Purpose. We do this for both our clients and our employees. We believe that leaning on our Core Values (Fresh Perspectives, Exponential Value, Empathy, Trusted Partner) will lead to happy clients and happy employees.
We are a remote-first company with over 170 incredible team members, more than 650 clients, and a commitment to Accelerating Dreams.
We are looking for a dynamic + strategic teammate at Burkland. If you have a background in accounting and a passion for helping venture-backed consumer startups succeed, Burkland is a wonderful fit for you!
Your Typical, Atypical, Day
- This role has variety at its core. From facilitating client meetings to reconciling accounts, no day will be a “typical day” (hence the typical, atypical day).
- You will be supporting our startup clients who need accounting help but may not have a need for an internal team at their growth stage (usually we work with Seed through Series C clients). So, there is always a lot of work to be done!
- You will be working in a fully remote capacity! So, whether you’re in pajama pants and a button-down, or taking calls at the coffee shop down the street, you design where and how you work each day.
- You’ll be working with a variety of clients, so the ability to context shift, communicate, prioritize and evaluate needs is the most important thing you’ll be doing in this role.
- You’ll be managing the entire accounting function for our clients, so you’ll want to have a background in management – whether that’s a function or a team, or both!
- You’ll have the opportunity to build robust accounting processes and systems for our clients. So understanding + embracing the agile and scrappy nature of startups is pretty much a must.
- You are naturally curious, and a problem-solver. You’re someone who likes to learn and is eager to take on new challenges, especially when it comes to cutting-edge technology and emerging industries.
- You are a communicator at your core. Bonus points if you have customer or client service experience!
- You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. If you have startup experience, that’s a huge plus!
- You take the initiative and jump at the opportunity to explore new ways of doing things.
- You are an expert collaborator! You ask for and give feedback regularly.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or something similar, and 3-5 years of experience, preferably in a startup environment.
- Strong finance-based analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- All things accounting + client management. For example, you should be able to work through client requests involving:
- prepaid revenue/deferred revenue + revenue recognition
- Intangible asset management & mark-to-market valuation
- inventory and purchase orders
- prepaid expenses
- payment processing systems (like Stripe)
- creating and managing monthly close lists
- producing tax ready end of year reports
- processing accounts payable and accounts receivable
- producing financial reports
- and GL account reconciliations
- Strong working knowledge of software is key in this role. On a daily basis, you’ll be using the entire G-Suite, QuickBooks online, Bill.com, Expensify + Concur. You’ll also be using Zoom and other video conferencing tools to facilitate client meetings.
What We Offer
- Flexible work schedule to promote a healthy work-life balance.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance for you and your dependents.
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance to support you when you need it the most.
- Flexible PTO – Take time off from work when you need it.
- 401k with a company match to ensure you are ready for retirement.
- A generous home office expense reimbursement so you have the office you need to be productive.
- Forget the commute! We’re a remote-first workplace, so you can work from your home office or from the beach if you’d like!
- We offer a collaborative, communicative culture, driven by our Core Purpose + Values. We work with incredibly smart people who love to learn and share what they know. If this sounds like a team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.
Burkland Associates is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Burkland Associates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit our careers page https://burklandassociates.com/careers/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.